Space: Next Classroom or Student’s Daydream?

Keith White, Student Editor

With talk throughout NASA of the “Artemis Program,” a mission designed to introduce new technologies to send humans back to the moon, and the “Commercial Crew Program,” creating new methods of space transportation, would it be so unlikely to wonder if younger people, even students could end up taking classes in space?

The possibility is not unthinkable, considering the educational requirements of becoming an astronaut have changed. In 1964, the requirement of being an astronaut was a Doctorate in medicine, engineering, or a natural science such as physics, chemistry or biology. This, combined with 

required Engineering and Flight experience made the ability to be an astronaut, astronomically difficult. 

But in the present, that requirement has dropped and the opportunities have widened. A person would only need a Bachelor’s degree in engineering, biological science, physical science, computer science or mathematics. Along with the degree, three years of related

professional experience or at minimum, a total of 1,000 hours of pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft is required.

Yet the drop in primary education does not affect NASA’s astronaut training program. The programs consist of classes that include sciences, medical emergencies, and public speaking. Also all astronauts must learn to work as a team by flying training jets and running simulations

to build teamwork and familiarise themselves with their equipment. Lastly, each astronaut candidate must go through survival training, a three day period spent in the wilderness to fend for themselves. A grueling task, but after that you will be able to become an astronaut.