In-School Winter Concert Gets Students in the Holiday Mood Before Departure

Niesha Patterson

Before students left on their delightful winter break on Dec. 21, Windsor High School’s Music Department coordinated the “Joy to the World” in-school winter concert featuring the band, choir groups, and orchestra. The three groups also have sub-groups such as the String Orchestra, Honors Chorale, and the Symphonic Band.

Before the initial concert time, the Jazz Ensemble performed holiday songs in the morning of the concert to lift up the spirits of staff and students. To start the concert on the right foot, Mr. Uyi Osunde gave his opening remarks to his audience. The concert then took way with the performance of “Hanukkah Habanera” arranged by Tim McCarrick  to sprinkle in some Hanukkah energy.

Jazz Ensemble performing at the start of the school day on Dec. 21

Next, the Honors Chorale stepped in and sang “See the Baby” by Jay Althouse to their heart’s content with the help of Tracee White, the Choir Director. After that beautiful performance, the Symphonic Band executed “Cut to the Chase” by Todd Stalter with the aid of Rebecca Bernardo, the Band Director. The  Teens of Praise then followed with the Gospel Choir taking the audience to church with “My Desire” by Kirk Franklin.

The Jazz Ensemble then presented “It Swings Upon the Midnight Clear” by Larry Neeck.

Before the initial concert time, the Jazz Ensemble performed holiday songs in the morning of the concert to give a taste of what was to come. The combined choir performed “African Noel” arranged by Andre Thomas and Tracee White. Lastly, the combined band and orchestra played “A Christmas Festival” by Leroy Anderson and was arranged by Michael Story.

African Dancers (for African Noel): Kayla Rush, Loren Johnson, Amaya Palmer, and Christina Silbourne.

Band Soloists:

Grade 9: Dahmarre Bournes (percussion)

Grade 12: Jake Lachniet (trumpet)

Jazz Ensemble Soloists:

Grade 9: Devin Keaton (saxophone), Charlottle Michaud (clarinet), Andre Prince (saxophone), Ryan Giannetti (piano)

Grade 10: Cleo White (saxophone)

Grade 11: Leah Gray (trumpet)

Grade 12: Ben Levesque (saxophone)