The Patriots Look to stay successful in the playoffs despite rough Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Left, is Los Angeles Chargers Star quarterback Philip Rivers, and on the right is New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady as both Veteran quarterbacks face off on Sunday January 13, 2019 in the NFL AFC DIvisional playoff round.

Emmanuel Carter

Left, is Los Angeles Chargers Star quarterback Philip Rivers, and on the right is New England Patriots Quarterback Tom Brady as both Veteran quarterbacks face off on Sunday, January 13, 2019, in the NFL AFC Divisional playoff round.

The 2018 season is the New England Patriots ‘ 49th season in the National Football League, their 59th overall, and their 19th under head coach Bill Belichick. The Patriots entered the season as two-time defending AFC champions and will attempt to become only the third team in NFL history to appear in three consecutive Super Bowls.

For nearly two decades the Patriots have just repeatedly dominated the NFL for a long time. They’ve now won eight conference titles, 15 division crowns, had an undefeated regular season, and (most importantly) they’ve grabbed five Super Bowl rings. The Patriots now prepare for yet another historical Super Bowl journey throughout the playoffs.

The Patriot’s losses to the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 2 and the Detroit Lions in Week 3 marked the franchise’s first back-to-back double-digit losses since 2002. After this slow start, the Patriots did improve to 7–3 leading into Week 11. The Patriots could not match their 13–3 record from a year ago and lost more than four games for the first time since 2009 after losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Week 15.

However, after a victory over the Buffalo Bills in Week 16, the Patriots clinched the AFC East for the tenth consecutive season, making the Patriots the second team ever in an American major sports league to win at least ten straight division titles which is a ridiculous amount of Wins and titles. Also, New England went undefeated at home with a Week 17 win over the New York Jets which they claimed a first-round bye and wrapped up the regular season with an 11–5 record that gave them the AFC’s 2nd seed in the postseason.

Despite all of the controversy surrounding the Patriots this season, trades, losses etc, the Patriots have  kept calm. They were very patient and they handled things the right way and still got the job done.

Now the next challenge for the Pats will be an interesting one as the Patriots will face off against the Los Angeles Chargers in the Divisional playoff round this Sunday at 1:05 P.M in Gilette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

Emmanuel Carter, Staff Writer

Emmanuel Carter is currently a freshman at Windsor High School. This is his first year as a staff writer for the Windsor Tomahawk Newspaper.  He is currently...