The Windsor High School Drama Club Starts the Year with a New Director

Back to Article
Back to Article

Drama Club Auditions Being Held

Drama Club Auditions Being Held

Drama Club Auditions Being Held

Drama Club Auditions Being Held

Aretha Prabawa

The Windsor High School Drama Club is starting the new year with a new production and a new director.

Mackenna Wysocki, the new director for the Drama Club, is starting the year off with plans for their latest production of “Oz,” a one act play by Don Zolidis.

Wysocki says she had her start in theater as a dancer. “I’ve been doing it for as long as I can remember,” She says. “When I was little, I started dancing, actually, and that turned into musical theater, and then straight plays, and wanting to right music, so I’ve been doing this for pretty much as long as I can remember.”

Wysocki also said that theater was something she wanted to pursue in college. She says, “I knew [theater] gave me the most happiness in my life. Like I didn’t regular nine-to-five, do the same thing every day. I wanted to really express my art and help other people and help share that with the year.”

Some that have interviewed Wysocki say she stood out because of her experience. Javier Diaz, a student at Windsor High School who interviewed says Wysocki stood out on paper. “She looked very good on paper, she has a lot of experience, whether it be directing or acting or being in shows herself, whether behind the scenes or on the stage herself… you can see it in the eyes, the way she spoke about the theater program. She has a passion for theater and fine arts and singing.” Susan Jackson, a Windsor High School English Teacher and the director of the Drama Club for eight years, says that Wysocki’s experience will also benefit the actors. She says, “She currently is performing, so she understands the needs of an actor.”

Jackson says that having someone new as the director is an interesting experience. “It’s a very interesting process to be on the outside of everything,” she says. “I know how hard this job is, and I know, for all those years, I was doing everything. So now, as I step aside, I find that there is a lot that goes on, and that has to be done before the show goes on.”

Jackson also says that having Wysocki will help her do more tasks for the production behind the scenes. “I keep thinking, ‘Oh, I don’t have to do that. That’s Ms.Wysocki’s job now’ and ‘Oh, I don’t have to be at rehearsal, I can do the flyers,’ so it’s a very interesting stage for me in my drama career.”

Wysocki says that she has many plans for this year as well as next year. “So, we’re starting with a one act, and then next year, hopefully build up to a regular show, and I would like to do more than one show next year, depending on our budget. We’re changing the ticket prices to go up a little bit more so that we have more of an income so that we can save a little more money.” Wysocki also says that she is excited to be there and that she “has fun every time [she’s in there].”

Auditions were held Nov. 29 and Dec. 3. The play “Oz” is a parody on the story, “The Wizard of Oz,” giving the audience a new perception to well known characters. The play is in production and is expected to show sometime in the spring.