Students Develop Life Skills in Windsor High School’s AP Art Course

AP Art Benefits Everyone, Not Just Those Who Want To Be a Professional Artist

Araya Miller, Staff Constributer

The doors open to Windsor High School’s two art rooms rendering multicolored paintings adorning the walls, sculptures on display, and work tables bedecked in paint, brushes, and canvases.

These rooms occupy seniors who continue to improve their organization and expression through the art department’s AP Art course by completing pieces due by the end of the school year.

The seniors involved in the AP Art course have developed a newfound passion for design, an improvement in technique, and have enhanced skill sets they can use even if they do not pursue a career in the arts.

The AP Art curriculum consists of students creating an essential question to investigate by producing a portfolio, a collection of art, that answers that question. Students can choose any form of art they desire such as digital art or sculptures.

This course allows students to examine a topic they care about and use creativity to decide how they will deliberate the answer to their essential question. Ama Karikari, an AP Art student, says, “We basically bring those ideas [of the topic] out and discuss them in our art.”

Teaching students problem-solving and analysis that they can use in all aspects of life, not just art, remains as a main focus of the AP Art class. Mrs. Renno, the AP Art teacher, says, “What we do expect is that they [students] are going to understand how to look at problems more creatively and how to go through a process to solve them. How to generate ideas, how to explore those ideas, how to then refine an idea, and then get feedback on those solutions, is something you can apply to any area.”

Students have also attributed the improvement of certain characteristics in themselves to their work in AP Art. Autumn Simpson, another AP Art student, said, “Not only in artistic fields but it [AP Art] also helps you with different skills like concentration, organization, and a lot of patience.”

The seniors in the AP Art class believe that by taking the course their ability to express themselves has improved tremendously. Jamare Shelton, a student in the class, said, “Expressing your feelings with your art; that is something you can always do. I don’t really express my feelings but with art, I can.”

AP Art remains as one of the last art classes a student takes as only seniors participate. A student has to take several prerequisite art classes, like Art Foundations and Pre- AP Art, before they qualify to join AP Art as well.

If underclassmen would like to take AP Art in the future, have a passion for art or want to learn the skills art provides, one must take all the prerequisites to have AP Art as their end goal in high school.

A display of the AP Art students’ pieces remains on the wall of the first art room.

Araya Miller, Staff contributer

Araya Miller is currently a freshman at Windsor High School. This is her first year as a staff writer for the Tomahawk. Araya is particularly interested...