Dear Dub

Daniel Y. Go

Daniel Y. Go

Dub, Advice Columnist

Dear Dub,

I’ve been having a lot of trouble keeping up with my school work while also playing a sport. I’ve also been missing out on hanging out with my friends on the weekends because of all of my homework. I’m not sure whether I should take time off of my athletics and focus on my academics or maybe just taking easier classes. I really need your help. What should I do?!

Sincerely,

Stressed Out Warrior

Dear Stressed,

Many students struggle with balancing the three S’s – sports, school work, and social life.  What works for many students is to create a planner and come up with a better strategy of living.   You can use the planner to schedule time for your homework during the week, so if you end practice at 6:00 and get home at 6:30, eat supper, then schedule a block of time, say between 7:30-8:30 to get some work done.  It could also help to talk to your coach and teachers about staying after school to make up any of your extra work. I’m sure your coach will understand that being a student comes before being an athlete. Your true friends aren’t going to be upset for missing a few movie nights or trips to the mall. Besides, they are probably having the same troubles you are. 

Remember stressed, it’s not supposed to be easy, if it was, then everyone would do it and there would be nothing special about what you are accomplishing!

Dear Dub,

I play football and lately I’ve been blowing up whoever lines up against me in practice. I attended all the workouts this summer and know the playbook cold.  Unfortunately I’ve only played in a few Varsity games and only when we are way ahead of other team.   I’m a Junior so I know I’ll probably start next season, but I’m starting to wonder if working my tail off is worth the effort.  I want to play!  My whole family comes out for the home games and I rarely get in.  It’s tough trying to tell my little brothers why I don’t play when they see how hard I’m working.  What should I do? 

Sincerely,

Frustrated Baller

Dear Baller,

Don’t get down on yourself Brah!  You sound like you are doing everything right!  Part of playing sports is having patience.  The guy in front of you may be better in ways you cannot see but the coaches can, which is why he gets all the snaps.  Be happy that you are getting in games at all, it means the coaches see something in you and are lining you up for next season.

Talk to your coaches and ask what specific things you need to improve on in order to be a better player.  Then work on those specific things.  The coaches will appreciate you taking the initiative in trying to get better and your added work can only lead to more snaps. Hang in there!