Veterans Day Ceremony

Ben Tillotson, Staff Writer

Last Friday Windsor High School hosted a wonderful Veterans Day Ceremony where we honored and represented Veterans that have fought for our freedom.

The WHS Choirs and Band put on spectacular performances during the ceremony.  They opened the ceremony with the National Anthem and followed with an emotional rendition of “We Honor You”.  The three combined Windsor Choirs then sang “America the Beautiful”.

Windsor Assistant Superintendent Dr. Terrell Hill was one of the Veterans honored on Friday for his service.  Dr. Hill was a specialist E4 in the Army.   “It is important that America recognizes veterans because we would not have all the freedoms we have today without them fighting for us.” said Dr. Hill.

Dr. Hill also stated that “it is important for young people to be aware of the sacrifices made by veterans because they are the future of this world.”  “No one likes war,” he continued, “so they should know that we are protected because of them.”

The other Veteran that was recognized was Bruce Francis Putinas who served as Petty Officer, First Class in the Navy.  In one of the ceremony’s more emotional moments, Putinas was awarded a high school diploma by Principal Osunde and Superintendant Cook.  Putinas, now officially a member of Windsor’s Graduating Class of 1959, left high school to enlist in the Navy before finishing high school.  When he enlisted, Putinas was just 2 credits short of graduating.

Putinas said that “his life puzzle was not complete until he got his diploma.”   Although he did so much for this country he didn’t realize how much he missed getting his diploma. “My puzzle is now complete” said the honored Veteran.

In true Warrior fashion. our students and staff gave Petty Officer Putinas a rousing standing ovation when he was finally awarded his diploma.  Well earned sir!