Tomahawk Top Ten: Teen Movies

Each week The Tomahawk will feature a new "Top 10" list. Let the fun begin!

Ty Blue, Staff Writer

#1. Mean Girls (2004) – Lindsay Lohan stars as a transfer student from Africa who befriends two  outcasts in which they insist that they are the best people she’ll ever meet. They devise a plan to take down the most popular clique in school “The Plastics” which makes this teen comedy a must see. The movie has too many snarky comebacks to count. 

#2. The Breakfast Club (1985) – A Saturday detention sounds pretty bad but when these five very different students realize they have much more in common than they originally thought things get interesting.  Directed by John Hughes, whose written other classics such as ‘Pretty In Pink’ definitely prove he knew what he was doing. This movie is pretty bizarre and it doesn’t hide it. Though it would’ve been nice to see them actually eat breakfast together.

#3. 10 Things I Hate About You (1999) – Julia Stiles stars as Kat Stratford,  a beautiful and smart teenage girl who for some reason doesn’t attract many guys.  Based on Shakespeare’s The Taming of the Shrew, Kat’s younger sister Bianca cannot date until Kat find’s one, so the pressure is on! Strings are pulled to set Kat up for romance with someone she’d never expect.  A true tragic-comedy.

#4. Heathers (1988) –   Winona Ryder stars as Veronica, a girl apart from the popular girls’ clique, who disapproves of her friends cruel behavior towards other students. So, when Veronica gets a new boyfriend everything goes downhill from croquet to pretty little suicide notes. The teen drama definitely influences others that followed afterwards.  Jealous much?

#5. Clueless (1995) – Queen Bee and matchmaker Cher, a role played by Alicia Silverstone, gets a reality check when she gives newcomer Tai a makeover which grows her popularity. But after Tai becomes more popular than she is, her ex-stepbrother gives her a wake-up call about her priorities. The movie has tons of LOL moments and is extremely entertaining.

#6. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) –  Ferris Bueller (Matthew Broderick) is a specialist at skipping school. He plans to dodging one more day, his final triumph if you will, before his senior graduation. During his day off he somehow manages to borrow his friend’s father’s car, a 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder, and go on a joyride through Chicago. Ferris and friends also go to a baseball game, visit an art gallery, while  avoiding their principal trying to catch them in the act. The movie breaks the fourth wall and has an amazing cast.

#7. Sixteen Candles (1984) – Being the middle child is already hard enough, but when your birthday falls on the same days as your older sister’s wedding it gets even tougher.  Angsty teen Samantha, played by Molly Ringwald, has her 16th birthday coming up and it should be one of the most memorable days of her life, but her entire family is focused on her sister’s wedding. Add on the stress of having a crush who might be out of your league and a nerd who seems to be the only one interested in her and you have all the ingredients for a Top Ten!

#8. Rebel Without A Cause (1955) – The trouble-making Jim Stark (James Dean) moves to a new town to have a fresh start. But after aligning himself to a disturbed classmate and falling for local heartthrob Judy (Natalie Wood), he gets himself into more trouble than what he bargained for. From drag races to leather jackets, this movie screams the 50’s and invented an anti-hero.

#9. The Outsiders (1983) – Gang violence, death, redemption, and finding yourself are all present in this  movie based off of S.E. Hinton’s classic novel The Outsiders. The cast list includes stars (most before they became household names) Rob Lowe, Patrick Swayze, Diane Lane, Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Ralph Maccio, Emelio Estevez and C. Thomas Howell.  Rarely does a movie live up to the original book (think Hunger Games), but this one comes close. “Lets do it for Johnny!”

#10. Stand By Me (1986) – Based off of the Stephen King novel ‘The Body’, Stand By Me took the idea of true friends to a whole new level. The action centers around 4 Oregon boys who set out to see the dead body of a teen that went missing somewhere up the train tracks. A classic coming-of -age movie that is held together by superior acting and cinematography.  Having Kiefer Sutherland play the bad guy always helps too!

Honorable Mentions: She’s All That (1999), Pretty In Pink (1986), Bring It On (2000), The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012), A Walk to Remember (2002), Footloose (1984)