Movie Review – Happy Death Day

Jada Branch, Staff Writer

The movie “Happy Death Day” is about a college student who is named Tree Gelbman, who wakes up every morning on her birthday. Every morning is her birthday you ask? Yes, Tree keeps waking up in a boys’ dorm room after an amazing party she couldn’t even remember.

Unfortunately, the day Tree keeps waking up on is the day she gets killed by a person wearing a baby face from the school’s mascot. And every time Tree played convincingly by Jessica Rothe is killed by an anonymous figure, she wakes up each and every time in the boy’s dorm.  The worst part of it is that everyone in the college seems to  knows that it’s Tree’s Birthday, so anyone could be the killer.

Tree believes it’s all a dream at first,  but soon figures out this is really happening to her. Tree grows worried and tries to figure out who she can trust, and who are realistic  suspect’s of her continuous murder. Tree then uses her considerable resourcefulness to see who could be the killer.  She is joined by her dreamy friend Carter, played by Israel Broussard, who tries his best to help his immortal friend. Carter is an average college kid  but does his best to understand what’s really happening to Tree, and gives her other perspective of what could be the meaning to waking up an endless life cycle of horrors.

Happy Death Day, directed by Christopher Landon (Disturbia, Paranormal Activity 3) is pretty intense. Landon is an expert at scaring audiences and building suspense.  The movie provides mystery while not being too campy.  We are drawn to why Tree Gelbman is unkillable and the special effects and scare tactics do not distract for the overall plot. What makes her so special? Who could she trust? Does she survive long enough to understand who is plotting her murder? Or why she is being killed in the first place? Are all questions that the audience is compelled to answer.

Happy Death Day is a mystery, a thriller and a pretty good horror flick. It gives an interesting point of view of what’s happening this unfortunate girl’s life for an hour and thirty-six minutes. The music brings a suspenseful outcome of the killing scenes and  the mascot’s mask, brings back other images like the mask from “Jayson” and “Scream”. The fact that the killer wears a toddler’s face is even more unnerving…think “Chucky.”  

Some scenes were a tad gray and dim, but the weather reflects Tree’s mood more than ours.   The movie, rated PG-13 for violence, was cleverly released on Friday, October 13th and just in time for Halloween and the scary season.  It has been a hit with audiences, grossing over 48 million in the U.S. alone.  People really want to see how or if Tree Gelbman survives her own “Death Day”.