Club Profile – Kids & Kritters

Ty Blue, Staff Writer

Most Windsor students don’t realize that they share a school with scaley, speckled, humongus and hungry predators, but they do.  And these serpents aren’t the only varmints that reside in our high school, there are also colorful fish and hairy spiders.

The name “Kids N’ Kritters Club” gives most people images of cuddly guinea pigs, kittens or perhaps the stray rescued chipmunk or squirrel.  These people couldn’t be more wrong.  In fact a chipmunk might make a nice meal for several of the creatures who live in the corner room E223.  However, these “Kritters” are harmless to WHS students, they just might not appear that way, and that’s part of the fun and where the learning comes in.

“The Club teaches the students to love the animals” says Mr Frank Halish who has been working with students and animals for 18 years.  “Many of my students become passionate about them and later even have careers that involve these amazing animals.”

Mr. Halish has worked with hundreds of Windsor students over the years and provides each of them a hands on experience with unique animals that they otherwise wouldn’t have.

The Kids N’ Kritters club has also given some students memories that they will probably never forget. Mr Halish confirmed the legend that a few years back over 80 snakes were loose in the snake room when one of the sneaky ones released its fellow snake pals.

Halish described it as “the scene from Indiana Jones where the snakes were piled all over the floor and he had to escape.” Wow!

If you join Kids and Kritters, you may develop a career path towards being a veterinarian, a zookeeper, marine biologist, or even a herpetologist – which is a branch of zoology concerned with the study of amphibians and reptiles. Sounds more fun than sitting in a cubicle staring at a computer screen.  

Mr Halish warns that the club isn’t just about showing up and looking at animals. Members help clean cages, feed the animals, and present them. Thursday the club is going to Poquonock school to show off some of the smaller animals to the younger kids.

If you’re looking for an after school activity that will give you hands on experience with different types of reptiles you should join the Kids N’ Kritters club. Contact Mr Halish in room E223 for more information.  The club isn’t for the squeamish and certainly isn’t for the squirrells.