Is Halloween Coming to an End?

L. Wint, Staff Writer

Halloween is an annual celebration to overindulge on candy, dress up in racy costumes or maybe even turn off our porch lights and pretend we aren’t home.   

One of the world’s oldest holidays originated thousands of years ago with the ancient Celtic festival Samhain, during which bonfires were lit and costumes donned to warn off spirits. Families would also try and word off spirits from taunting their homes by giving the neighborhood children treats.  

Samhain later became known as “All Hallows Eve” (“hallow” is a synonym for “saint”) when the Catholic Church named November 1st All Saint’s Day, and eventually “All Hallows Eve” morphed into the current “Halloween.”

Today’s Halloween celebrations are threatened however.  Numerous school  districts in The United States have canceled their Halloween celebrations, choosing instead to hold classroom celebrations that will be fall themed, not Halloween themed.  

Miller Elementary School in Canton, Michigan, told parents earlier this month it would be canceling its longtime Halloween parade tradition. Instead, the school is holding a Haunted Hallways day the following week in the school.  

Even in Windsor, we celebrated Halloween by dressing as celebrities, not traditional ghosts, goblins, witches or zombies.

Boyden Elementary School in Walpole, Mass. doesn’t want the holiday festivities to make any of the students uncomfortable. According to the Boyden Principal Brendan Dearborn, “The  holiday is not inclusive of all the students and it is our goal each and every day to ensure all student’s individual differences are respected”.

“I recognize that this decision will be disappointing to some who may feel like Mitchell is changing,” Principal Gregory Bayse of Needham (Mass) Elementary School wrote in a letter to parents last week “I would agree that (cancelling the traditional Halloween celebration) represents a change, but I believe that in the long-term any change towards including all children is a positive change that will benefit our students and our community.”

If this trend continues, perhaps by the time Windsor students are sending their own kids to school, one of the oldest holidays in existence will be gone like a ghost in the darkness.